Pages

Friday 23 December 2011

Christmas Decorations

This may be incredibly surprising to learn, but I don't like decorating the Christmas tree. I don't know why. It just seems like so much effort even though I don't even take the lights off of it each year.  We have a fake tree because I think it is terribly wasteful to get a real tree every year. Might smell nice, but I don't think that justifies the eviction of countless forest animals.

This year the tree made it up pretty early in comparison to other years.  It is standing in the living room, by the window. Looking very green.

I had asked The Man to decorate it with the kids but that hasn't happened. Which kinda works out.

The Daughter must have gotten tired of looking at a plain boring tree all the time, so she took it upon herself to make, colour, and hang decorations.

She used construction paper and regular paper and elastics and paper towel and markers and various colours of glitter paint (which makes everything better), and to be perfectly honest I feel that this is the best decorated tree in the whole world and I'm not just saying that because I hate decorating trees and since I didn't have to do it that makes it the best. I'm saying this because she took the initiative to sit down--for an extended period of time--and focus on ONE task.

She told me I couldn't look until she was done.

When she was finished she proudly showed me her homemade decorations.

There are:

  • Four skulls and crossbones
  • Three paper towel ghosts
  • Two candy canes
  • And a picture of a zombie eating a kitten (so she says, I don't think it looks like that, but I'm not going to crush her creativity)
Since then, I have asked The Man a couple more times to decorate the tree with the kids while I am at work, because it would be a good thing for them to do together (since I did it alone last year) and not because I'm at work and wouldn't have to help.

I came home the other night, and it was not decorated. At first I was a little upset. And by a little I mean I was super pissed because I had been asking for over a week, and a week is a really long time, and in my head it was all a conspiracy to see how long it would take before I just did it myself.

Well I'm NOT going to do it. I don't want anyone else to do it either. 

She put a lot of effort and work into these decorations. The ghosts even have happy faces. Yeah, they're happy ghosts. Probably because they get to hang out around a tree and not some creepy house that no one is brave enough to go into and really Christmas is about being together and this lets the ghosts do that.

And frankly, I don't think there are any other decorations in the whole world that better depict the awesomeness that is our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment